Health Benefits: Organic Pepitas (No Shell Pumpkin Seeds)
17 Super Stats about Pumpkin Seeds
WOW! Did you know that Organic Pumpkin seeds are the only seed that is alkaline-forming?
With the highly acidic diets sweeping across the US, alkaline diets are becoming all the rage. Not to get too deep into the alkeline diet, but most fruits and vegetables, soybeans and tofu, and some nuts, seeds, and legumes are alkaline-promoting foods, so they're fair game. On the other hand, dairy, eggs, meat, most grains, and processed foods, like canned and packaged snacks and convenience foods, fall on the acid side and are not allowed. (via WebMD)
Now, on to the stats:
1. Pumpkin seeds were discovered by archaeologists in caves in Mexico that date back to 7,000 B.C.
2. Pumpkin seeds are called pepitas in Mexico and they are a trademark of Mexican cuisine.
3. Pumpkin seeds were very popular in ancient Greece.
4. The nutrition in pumpkin seeds improves with age; they are among the few foods that increase in nutritive value as they decompose. According to tests made at the Massachusetts Experimental Station, squash and pumpkin seeds stored for more than five months show a marked increase in protein content.
5. Pumpkin seeds are high in calories, about 559 calories per 100 g.
6. Are filled with lots of minerals including phosphorus, magnesium, manganese, iron and copper.
7. Are a good source of vitamin K.
8. Contain phytosterols, compounds that that have been shown to reduce levels of LDL cholesterol.
9. Contain L-tryptophan, which helps with good sleep and lowering depression. Tryptophan is converted into serotonin and niacin. Serotonin is also very helpful in helping us to have a good night’s sleep.
10. Are a good source vitamin E; they contain about 35.10 mg of tocopherol per 100 g.
11. Are the most alkaline-forming seed.
12. Are an excellent source of vitamin B group (thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, pantothenic acid, vitamin B-6 (pyridoxine) and folates).
13. Contain good quality protein. 100 g seeds provide 30 g.
14. According to studies, pumpkin seeds prevent calcium oxalate kidney stone formation.
15. Reduce inflammation for arthritis without the side effects of anti-inflammatory drugs.
16. Are used in many cultures as a natural treatment for tapeworms and other parasites.
17. Are good for prostate health! The oil in pumpkin seeds alleviates difficult urination that happens with an enlarged prostate.